In 1870, Louis Zistel began ferrying passengers from Sandusky to the
Cedar Point Peninsula’s beer garden and sandy beaches. In 1888, the
Grand Pavilion was built, housing a massive theatre, bowling alley,
photographic studio, and kitchen, and shortly thereafter, the
resort’s first roller coaster was installed. George Boeckling
transformed the resort into a self-sufficient city and amusement
park, but the park suffered badly in the 1930s economic depression.
However, after Cedar Point changed hands several times in the 1950s,
it became one of America’s leading amusement parks.
Today, the park is best known as the world's largest amusement park
and the "Roller Coaster Capital of the World".
About the author
David W. and Diane DeMaili Francis
are members of the National Amusement Park Historical Association
and American Coaster Enthusiasts. they have authored six books on
amusement parks, including the Arcadia titles
Ohio's Amusement Parks and
The Golden Age of Roller
Or buy new...